Skip to main content

Great Expectations


The two of them come in cautiously, as our customers often do, one wide eyed with curiosity and the other with barely concealed cynicism ‘Are you sure? This place is a bit creepy…’ Ms Cynical says ‘I like it’ Ms Curious replies ‘Vintage things have a story…’ she says stroking the lace on a bodice hung up near the door ‘Yeah, a morbid one…’ Ms Cynical replies, scrunching up her nose ‘What if all these dresses' marriages were doomed,… or someone died in one?’ ‘What if all these marriages were happy and people just wanted to share their joy with us poor peasants who can’t afford a fancy new dress?’ Ms Curious replies with a smile. ‘I wouldn’t have pegged you as superstitious anyway’ she teases gently as Ms Cynical grabs a dress and waves it towards her ‘I am the ghost of weddings paaaaast' she moans and they both collapse into laughter. ‘Different book’ I say as I appear around the corner 'Same author though’ I smile ‘I promise no nefarious spirits inhabit my dresses’ They look a bit embarrassed but rally quickly when they see I’m happy to play along ‘You had them checked?’ Ms Cynical asks with a raised eyebrow and a teasing half smile ‘Oh yes’ I reply, mock seriously ‘We had a priest, a white witch, a shaman…’ ’Sounds like a party’ she grins. ’Three different types of wine’ I say with a small wink. They laugh. ‘I’m Estella’ I introduce myself ‘Rose’ says Ms Curious “And my friend Dolly’ Ms Cynical flashes a wicked grin ‘I’m here to make sure she gets something worthy of her’ ‘Everyone needs a friend like that’ I smile, gesturing to the love seat we keep at the corner of the first room 'So tell me about your wedding’ (This is usually a much better question than ‘What kind of dress do you want?’ as you get a sense of the person rather than the projection of bridal magazine induced insecurity) ‘Well it’s going to be quite small, casual…’ Rose starts ‘But still special’ Dolly interjects. Rose grins ‘Yes, but not over the top.’ she nudges her friend ‘Except you, obviously’ Dolly tosses her hair ‘I couldn’t let you down by being anything less.’ ‘So, romantic, intimate but not showy?’ I ask ‘Yeah, exactly!’ Rose smiles ‘And I want to look feminine but be comfortable all day too’ Dolly rolls her eyes ‘It’s still going to be a long day and we’re not doing any outfit changes or anything like that. But it’s going to be in this beautiful little hotel near where we live...’ Her expression becomes dreamy ‘May I ask a slightly strange question…’ I begin, and she nods ‘What would your dream wedding be - if you could choose to have a fantasy wedding with no limitations?’ ‘Riding in on a Pegasus..’ Dolly says and they laugh again ‘Perhaps a little more grounded in reality’ I chuckle. ‘Well…' she says, with a coy smile ‘This is pure fantasy land, but I’ve always been a bit of a Francophile… And I love Paris…’ ‘Ahhh’ I say, 'I think I have the perfect one for you.'                                                                                                                                            Estella gracefully makes her way into the little corridor at the back of the shop as we wait on the love seat ‘Wait, she doesn’t know my size or anything..’ I say ‘Oh, these people can tell just by looking at you if they’ve been doing it for long enough’ Dolly reassures me ‘And you’ll have fittings and alterations…’ Estella appears with what still looks to be a length of lace and silk ‘Don’t think too much until you try it on’ she says guiding me into the dressing room and hanging it up on the filigree hook on the wall. It’s bigger than a normal cubicle but not quite a whole room, and serendipitously decorated in a Parisian style, with a little velvet covered chair, and ornate framed, gilded mirror, with a pair of low heeled satin shoes waiting to be tried on too. I stroke the fabric of the dress again and notice a cream, heavy paper tag attached with elegant calligraphy on it. It reads ‘Paris, 1954, Pavillion des Lettres’ in swirling black ink. I eventually find the delicate zipper on the side of the bodice and slip the dress on over my head, a flurry of ivory silk, lace and tulle. I deliberately stand with my back to the mirror as I zip it up carefully. It fits like a dream. I slip on the shoes and as I twirl to face the mirror, the irresistible sweet scent of roses drifts up to meet me, and I inhale deeper, catching scents of light champagne and strawberries, then rich espresso and buttery pastries… I swear I hear the happy chattering of a room full of people and the beginnings of a string quartet playing a waltz… but most of all, I am overwhelmed by a feeling of unrestrained joy, deep contentment and love… I open my eyes, and it really is the perfect dress, with a sweetheart neckline, satin bodice overlaid with delicate lace, and a full tulle skirt the reaches just below my knees and ripples with the slightest movement. Even the shoes fit perfectly. I turn on my heel and open the door to see Dolly chatting happily with Estella and stroking a stripey grey cat sat between them on another filigree love seat. Dolly actually does a double take when she sees me ‘Oh. My. Goddess. You are beautiful.’ Estella looks appropriately pleased with her choice ‘How does it feel?’ She asks ‘Wonderful’ I say, doing a little twirl and grinning at them. The cat jumps down and saunters over to headbutt my shin, purring ‘Pusscat approves too’ Estella smiles ‘Well cats do have an excellent sense of style’ I say, tickling under it’s chin.                                                                                                                                                 My favourite part of my day is when this happens, a beautiful person and a beautiful dress find each other with just a bit of my help. Rose and Dolly are chatting and giggling even more animatedly than before as we make our way to the sales desk. 'Oh I never asked how much it was!' Rose exclaimed with a look of horror at the thought of losing her new find. 'What's your budget?' I ask, and she whispers it to me with a little embarrassment. People can be rather reticent about money I've found. 'Well it just so happens that is the exact amount for the dress and the shoes' I smile. 'Of course it is' says Dolly, whose expression changed from 'I will end you if you disappoint my friend' to 'I knew it all along'. 'It's clearly fate.' Nancy appears from the back to help me wrap the precious items, and send them on their way with their new owners, snugly enveloped in tissue paper and ribbon. Nancy and I share an affectionate glance as we watch them go past from the window 'I told you this was the perfect place for you' she says, resting her head on my shoulder. 'Imagine where we'd be if I stayed in that awful mansion and you hadn't knocked on the door to sell me those flowers' I say 'No-where good' she replies, 'It was fate' she grins, gives me a quick kiss and starts tidying the wrapping away, just as the bell on the door tinkles and in comes our next customer. 'Love her, love her, love her..' I whisper to myself, with a smile. 'Morning!' A young man says cheerfully, 'I have and appointment with you at 11 o'clock? My name is Pirrip but everyone calls me Pip' 'So lovely to me you!' I smile again. 'How can I help you today?'  

Comments

Popular Posts